Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Song of the Righteous is a Prayer

My thoughts turn to the wonderful people I have been teaching and the questions and concerns that they have had. I also think of my own spiritual needs and the aspects of my faith that I have been actively working to build.

My mind instantly goes to prayer.

In Doctrine and Covenants 25:12, The Lord tells Emma Smith that "the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing." During this time, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had been restored to the earth but a few months, and it's noteworthy that the Lord thought it essential to call someone to organize the music of the Church so early in its latter-day history.

I submit that most religious songs are, in essence, prayers. There are songs of praise to our Maker, like "How Great Thou Art." There are songs of Worship and repentance, like "More Holiness Give Me." There are songs of desperate pleas for the Lord's presence, like "I Need Thee Ev'ry Hour."

In a missionary meeting yesterday, I heard a powerful quote, "Pray as if a child might open his eyes to see if He is really there." (Gold star goes to whomever can find the reference for that first)

WOW.

I think of the kind of faith a little child has. In General Conference last October, President Henry B. Eyring told a story of his 3 year-old granddaughter's experience in an LDS temple for the first time:
"She looked around and asked, 'Mommy, where is Jesus?' Her mother explained that she would not see Jesus in the temple, but she would be able to feel His influence in her heart. Eliza carefully considered her mother’s response and then seemed satisfied and said, 'Oh, Jesus is gone helping someone,' she concluded."
President Eyring explained that no pavilion obscured Eliza's knowledge that God is close to her and she expected to see the Savior in His temple. I love the perfect faith and innocence that little children have! The song I chose for this post is A Child's Prayer.



Please pray. Talk to Heavenly Father. He LOVES you and He wants to hear from you. He misses His precious sons and daughters. He will help you with any of your challenges. He is the Greatest Listener. As a representative of Jesus Christ, I promise you that Prayer is essential to helping us become like our Savior and Redeemer. I continue to have incredible experiences with prayer every day. I had a particularly special experience last night as I knelt to pray. I knew without a doubt that I was truly talking to a Divine Being, and not to the corner of my bed. He was really there, and he heard  and answered my sincere, pleading prayer last night and He answered it!

What are your experiences with prayer?



1 comment:

  1. I realized as I was preparing my lesson on Doctrine and Covenants 25 for Sunday School that I never posted my insight about verse 12 on your blog!
    I love this verse. We know from the scriptures that we are supposed to "pray always" but this verse helps me understand that praying always isn't necessarily about talking all the time--it's living our life in a way that's a prayer to our Heavenly Father. In this way, our lives can be like a song--and each day we write the music for it.

    ReplyDelete