Saturday, August 4, 2012

Faith is...

Faith is knowing the sun will rise, lighting each new day.
Faith is knowing the Lord will hear my prayers each time I pray.
Faith is like a little seed:
If planted, it will grow.
Faith is a swelling within my heart.
When I do right, I know.

Faith is knowing I lived with God before my mortal birth.
Faith is knowing I can return when my life ends on earth.
Faith is trust in God above;
In Christ, who showed the way.
Faith is strengthened; I feel it grow
Whenever I obey.

LDS Children's Songbook

Faith is the first principle of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. To me it so complex, yet so simple. In the Book of Mormon, Faith is defined in this way: "Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore, if ye have faith, ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true."

I am constantly working on my faith. In the same chapter I just quoted, Alma challenges readers to try an experiment with faith. Plant a little "seed" of faith in your heart: a simple desire to believe. As you see the results of that, it will begin to:

  • enlarge your soul 
  • enlighten your understanding 
  • be delicious to you (Alma 32:38.) 
As you continue to nurture your seed, it will grow into a tree that will produce good fruit. Regardless of where you are in your life, you can always increase your faith. I work towards the day when I have faith to move mountains. (See also: Jacob 4:6, Mormon 8:24)  


No comments:

Post a Comment